Thursday, April 2, 2015

WIP Wednesday: Giant stockinette sweater of awesome

So, back in 2013 Jonas and I (along with LAP) were at one of our local yarn (and fabric!) stores for Small Business Saturday (that's the Saturday after US Thanksgiving in case you don't know) and for some reason I decided to purchase ALL THE YARNS.

That day, I bought myself a sweater quantity of Malabrigo worsted in the "Garden Gate" colourway (which I am still ABSOLUTELY in love with and I hope you'll get to see knit up soon), the Berocco Ultra Alpaca I used in my Tauriel, and seven skeins of the same Berocco Ultra Alpaca in a sort of burnt orange heathered colourway with the intention of making a sweater for Jonas. Probably for our anniversary, which is in May. He looks really good in that orange colour and I know I'd found a pattern for a basic pullover (which, I note, the sample page is pretty much the same orange colour, so that probably influenced my decision) that I thought he'd like, so I got it for him. Not really thinking that he runs naturally very warm so an alpaca/wool blend might not be the *best* decision ever, but, you know.

Well, I'm finally getting around to knitting it. Now that it's more than a year later and it's almost summer. Yep. Nobody ever said our knitting had to make sense.




It all happened because I'm so woefully behind on my destash, so I decided to change tactics. Instead of just using the RNG to pick something in the stash, I sorted it by how many metres I had and am going to work on using the ones I have the most of first (obviously supplementing with other things here and there as needs arise). Which meant I had to make the Jonas sweater because he requires more yarn than me so I have the most of that yarn.

I just got done knitting with the Berocco for my Tauriel and loved it and this is more of the same. Which is good because it's a 236 stitch stockinette sweater in the round on 3.75mm needles so there's a LOT of knitting it. I'm finding that along with liking the hand of the yarn and the ease with which it knits up, this particular colourway has all these really great slight variegations that I really love. They give the sweater a nice dimension in the plain stockinette to add just a little bit of visual interest. I'm not sure you'll be able to see them in the photo, but they're there and I like them.



It doesn't look like much. It's not exciting. But it's what he wanted and I'm loving working with this yarn again. Plus I'm in the middle of two weekend-long conventions so it's rather nice to have something I can just sit and work on without having to think at all. It is getting a bit unwieldy to tote around though. But I'm 13 rows from the part where I leave all these stitches on a holder and start the sleeves, so it should get easier. I don't think I've ever been so excited for sleeves before!

No comments:

Post a Comment