Wednesday, April 22, 2015

WIP Wednesday: Sock (and a quarter)


Here's the completed sock as it was on Monday. Since this I've managed to get another 48 rows done on the next one, but I didn't photograph it. Lots going on around here today.



This is one of the "Do Not Speak to Me of Dragon Fire" Socks by KnottyKnerd (one half of the KnerdGirl Knits Podcast team). They’re named after Thranduil from J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. She was showing off the socks on the podcast and asking for test knitters. Since I ADORE the Hobbit (books and movies) and I love the elves above all, I knew this was the pattern for me. If you'll remember, I couldn't find a yarn I liked to knit this with, so I made my own colourway "Elvenking" (which I hope to get listed on Etsy very shortly). I was worried it would bury the pattern, but it doesn't at all. Plus it fortuitously stripes up in the loveliest way. I really like this colourway.

About the sock...the pattern isn't out yet (she said probably mid-May), but when it is, I advise you to get it! This is the best fitting sock I've knit yet and the pattern is easy to memorize after a few repeats. It's got lovely all over patterning and striping down onto the foot (you can't see the leaf motif up the back). The way the gusset is placed really helps make the sock fit well, especially if you have high arches or less ankle shaping than traditional socks call for. It's a beautiful pattern, well written (even in test knit!), and an overall amazing sock. I love it and I really hope to show you the second one for FO Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment